Sunday, December 18, 2011

Mirror Lake

 
 18 x 24 oil on panel

Hey fellas, This is my latest painting "Mirror Lake".  Making this painting was a very different experience.  I made a lot many changes to my reference photo in order to get this painting right. 

The reference photo was very intriguing to me, however there were a couple things I wanted to change.
  • 1. I did not like the dull grey sky.  It was setting in a very gloomy mood.
    reference photo
  • 2. I was not very happy with the color scheme either.  Again it appeared very dull to me.
I guess it was not a great day to take pictures.  I generally like to paint shadow contrasts in bright day light.  But it was late November and bright sunshine is really rare during this time of the year.  Nevertheless, I just loved the brilliant reflection.
I knew I wanted to paint this but with a few changes :).  And here is what I did...
In order to get rid of the dull grey I introduced a mountain in place of the sky.  And also changed the color scheme a little bit.  I majorly used a blue-green palette with a touch of yellow to set in the bright happy mood. Using a limited color range makes all   elements work in perfect harmony with "minimal" effort.  All in all, it was a good learning experience.

Thank you for visiting.  I hope you had a good read.
We can keep in touch on Facebook and Twitter...and also Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment