Thursday, May 31, 2012

Work in Progress-Water's Edge

Day 1
I finished this painting a long time ago, and never found the time to write about it.  I thought of explaining every step in the process since this painting was an exercise to study trees.  The only way to get them right is to keep practicing.  It does get frustrating at times.  And I do admit that, many of my studies in the past have been a disaster.  But this time after several attempts, I felt like I had nailed the trees!.  So here is the process

Day 1
I blocked in the large shapes with basic colors.  If I remember right I have used just the primaries (cool & warm).  The thumb rule of painting:  Start with  large shapes and then move to detail.  I have this obsession with detail, and sometimes that kills my painting.  I get stuck with detail so much; that I forget the larger picture.  But this time, I kept reminding myself, to keep away from detail at this stage.  I always work form very thin paint to thick paint.  So in this step my paint is very thin, almost transparent.  As you can see, the painting looks very flat at this point.
                                                           
 Day 2
Added some more foliage and volume to the trees.  Developed some depth by laying in the darks. I also underpainted the water. At this stage my paint starts getting thicker.  Again, not much detailing, just the basic shapes
Day 2
Day 3
Here I begin to add detail.  Darkened the darks, developed shadows.   Now, the foliage begins to get new dimensions.  And it finally stops looking flat. yay!

Day 3
Final Day
I continue to add more and more detail. Basically, repeat Day 3.  Introduced some trunks, branches, limbs to the trees.  Darkened my shadows and darks. I finished the water. Until the final step I was just glazing it.  Now I lay in the reflection.  And before I know, its all done! yay!

Water's Edge 16x20 oil on panel
I had a great time studying trees.
Thank you for visiting my blog.  I hope you had a good read.  We can keep in touch onFacebook and Twitter... Google+  and.. Pintrest

No comments:

Post a Comment